10.03.2012

milk it.

Umm...it's actually rather ridiculous how easy it is to make homemade almond (nut/seed) milk. I'm embarrassed it took me this long to do it. Got a big bag of almonds from Costco and I'm on my way to saving a noticeable amount of money making almond milk myself! I've done, pumpkin almond milk (used pumpkin pie spice but I might add a tablespoon or two of pureed pumpkin to add more flavor), vanilla milk (using vanilla rice protein powder). For this batch I'm showing you, I added a few tablespoons of cocoa powder because Boogie asked for "chocolate almond milk". 

What you need:


  • 1 cup of raw almonds (or other nut or seed)
  • 4-5 cups (I've done both) of water (spring or filtered)
  • 1-1.5 tsp of vanilla extract
  • Just a dash of sea salt
  • 1-2 Tbsp of maple syrup (you can also use raw honey/honey or stevia) NOT pancake syrup!! (Feel free to leave this ingredient out if you prefer to make a batch of unsweetened milk).
  • Nut milk bag
  • Blender



Soak your nuts or seeds in filtered water overnight. 


Drain and rinse the nuts. 



In your blender, put in nuts, water and all ingredients.


Blend. And blend until chunks of nuts are pulverized. About 1-2 minutes.



Pour the blended mixture into your nut bag (which should be inside of a medium to large-sized bowl).



Pull nut bag up and gently squeeze out all of the liquid into your bowl. 




If you have froth at the top, scoop it out.



I am known to make lots of messes while I cook, so I use a funnel to pour the milk into my container.



Ta-da!!! Again, I made chocolate milk so that's why it's not white. Feel free to play around with different flavors! Just put in the fridge to cool. You may notice it settles and separates while in the fridge...just shake it up before drinking and ENJOY!!!!

No really. That's it! I told you...

~Joy
(c) 2012 Joy-Jasmin Brunnelson All Rights Reserved

No comments: