9.27.2012

i can't believe i forgot!!!

I'm still pulling together all the information for the herbs post I promised but in the meantime, I realized that I forgot a GLARING omission from yesterday's post. The most exciting part of what happened to me at Mother Earth News Fair!

I.met.Temple.Grandin.

Yup. I shook her hand and had a wonderfully awkward conversation since I had no idea what to say to her. She was standing by her most recent book, Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals.
She was ready to autograph the books for those purchasing it. I felt nervous about approaching her to talk to her about autism when she was at the MENF for her animal work. Having a child with autism, I KNOW how annoyed she might feel with me. How irritating the useless social nuances might feel to her. I almost talked myself out of it. My SIL convinced me to just go and do it. She said, "you of all people can read how she's feeling. If she looks uncomfortable, just back off but you have to go or you'll regret it." She was right. I had to go. So, I walked up to her and this was our conversation:

Temple <sticking her hand out to shake hands>: Hi, how are you?
Me: <taking her hand to shake and feeling a piece of lead drop in my stomach>: I'm good, thank you. 
Temple: So, what do you raise? <she was referring to animals>
Me: A kid. <she didn't see the humor in this statement but I must say it was brilliant!>
Temple: Oh. So, you must know me from my autism things.
Me: I do. I have a young son with autism and we are very inspired by you.
Temple: <eye contact is beginning to shift>: So, how's he doing? (this question felt incredibly scripted...I can tell at this point that she is done with the conversation).
Me: He really is doing well. He's a very happy kid. I am so glad I got to meet you!
Temple: Good. Nice to meet you.
<At this point I walked away>

So, that's my celebrity story. I met Temple Grandin. The example of hope for my child. Don't get me wrong, I know that God has amazing plans for Boogie. He has set a path for him as He has done for us all, but other special needs parents know what I mean. Temple is the inspiration that our children will be okay. So...that's it...just wanted to share. 

~Joy
(c) 2012 Joy-Jasmin Brunnelson All Rights Reserved

No comments: